Relocating to a New City – A Quick Guide
Moving from one city to another for a job or to boost your career? Or a newly married couple shifting to a different place? Here’s everything you need to know about moving to a new city in India so you can prepare yourself for the move.
Domestic migration seems like a mammoth task at hand, especially when it comes to the entire logistics part. It’s not easy but it’s also not that big challenge, what it’s made to look like. It could be for any reason – career boost, marriage or be it exploring a new city all together for a few years.
Chances are everything about the “new city” is different, be it the language, weather, food or the culture. Some people take time to adapt to the changes, some never really adapt, constantly suffering with a strong case of homesickness. This is the reality of 268 million individuals in the country who’ve migrated within the country.
Leaving behind an established way of life, your social circle and the comforts of familiarity can be daunting. But fear not, here’s how moving to a new city can be beneficial…and can be done with ease!
Moving cities in India? Here are a few tips on how you should plan your move to make it a seamless process.
Planning Your Big Move
Migrating to another city is surely a big move, considering you will be required to start from scratch in the new city. Before you do that, a few pointers must be kept in mind.
- Logistics company – Identify and select a trustworthy and reputed logistics company. Whether it’s your personal belongings, clothes, electronic gadgets like a TV or your furniture. It is a must to have a reliable movers & packers in place who does not burn a hole in your pocket.
- Checklist – Have your checklist ready! It’s a good idea to have a checklist of items to be shifted ready with you and cartons labelled and numbered. Most packers don’t label your cartons with what’s inside them. Comes in handy when you’re unpacking in the new city.
- Expenses – You may end up disposing quite a few things before moving and will have to invest in new purchases. Unforeseen expenses will hurt your bank account upon shifting, unless you’ve planned your finances. Factor in at least 6 months to stabilise in a new city whilst keeping your expenses in check.
Moving Cities is Easy
Busting the myth! Today moving cities is not as big a task as it used to be 10 years ago. You can get varied options to choose from when it comes to logistics companies, second hand buying services and furniture & electronic rental services. These service providers make it extremely convenient to move cities.
All you need to be sure of is the location you might be choosing an apartment in. In a metro city like Bangalore which is spread wide & far and ever expanding, you must choose to rent or buy a home closer to your office (ideally not more than 5 kms) to ensure a hassle-free commute. Essentially, do your research about the vicinity, services, malls, hospitals, restaurants, etc. and ensure they are within 3 kms radius.
For example, Puravankara’s premium residential project ‘Purva Skydale’, on the ‘high growth corridor’ off Sarjapur Road in Bangalore is perfectly situated. These residences are conveniently located and are well-connected to arterial roads like Hosur road, Sarjapur road, outer ring road and Electronic City. It has all services and facilities including hospitals, malls & entertainment zones within 3 kms radius. Perfect for a family moving to Bangalore and working in Electronic City.
Moved & Settling In:
All you need to do is take a flight / train / bus to move to a new city. Sounds simple and exciting. However, your packages will take a few days to reach you. Here’s what you should do to not feel overwhelmed about the new place.
- Make a checklist again. This time, you need to figure out what are the things you’re going to need. From essentials to grocery to household items. Get moving! Start exploring the vicinity. Figure out where you would get almost everything under one roof. Like a Metro Cash & Carry or Big Bazaar is the best place.
- If you have your furniture from your last abode coming in the package, that’s great. But if you don’t, its best to rent it out. There are loads of rental services available if you search online. Like RentoMojo, Furlenco, Fabrento, etc. In fact you can now rent electronic items as well from the same websites. This way, you can save up big, till the time you save up and get your 52 inch OLED TV.
- Finally, your boxes will arrive soon. Before that, plan your house setup. Refer to your checklist you made first before packing up. Pull that out and begin your journey of setting up the new house. This gives you added advantage of decluttering your house. Keep it minimal and classy. If you need some interiors advice, Purva Streaks is a value added interiors & décor service, that you can avail in case you choose to go with a Puravankara Home.
- Check Google for amazing food joints till you get your kitchen up and running. Or just get it home delivered.
And finally, log on to Instagram account and start recording yourself setting up the house. You’d love watching it after a few years.
In the words of Antonio Guterres, Secretary-General of UN “Migration powers economic growth, reduces inequalities and connects diverse societies…”.
So if you’re looking at accomplishing any of these things, then migrate. Take that step into the unknown.